Communication for all hazards including widespread public health emergencies such as the current COVID 19 is a massive task, particularly having to convey the messages on precautionary measures to urban under-privileged communities. The crucial element is to reach and cover maximum people in a timely manner. However, with limited interaction with communities, the task of reaching target communities has become even more challenging.
The USDA together with the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) has collaboratively initiated a programme adhering to the health protocols to make the communities aware of the dos and don’ts, reinforcing the basic precautionary measures to prevent and control the outbreak in the country via audio messages.
Phase 1 of the programme was conducted in the western province where the Covid 19 pandemic is rapidly spreading. It has completed the audio messaging campaign in 10 settlements in Gampaha District, 3 settlements in Colombo District and 1 in Kalutara District. Audio communications reinforcing the messages on preventive and control measures of the Covid 19 in communities were announced around settlements with the help of loud speakers. This was conducted on 4 consecutive days from 22nd to 25th May. All community leaders of the CBOs in all 14 settlements in the Western Province actively contributed in organizing the programme.
The conducted programme schedule is as follows:
22nd May: (Colombo and Kalutara Districts)
• Angulana, Sayurapura settlement – Colombo District
• Horana, Ella Kanda settlement – Kalutara District
23rd May: (Colombo and Gampaha District)
• Borella, Sahaspura, Sinhapura, 16 watta and Sirisara Uyana settlements – Colombo District
• Kelaniya, Gaga Rakshithaya settlement – Gampaha District
• Mahara, Galwalawatta settlement – Gampaha District
• Ja Ela, Maddegoda settlement – Gampaha District
• Wattala, Vijaya Kumaratunga settlement – Gampaha District
24th May (Gampaha District)
• Katana, Rajapaksapura settlement – Gampaha District
• Negombo, Uthpalawatta settlement – Gampaha District
• Attanagalla, Kuruwamulla settlement – Gampaha District
25th May (Gampaha District)
• Meerigama, Maweehena settlement – Gampaha District
• Minuwangoda, Iddihena settlement – Gampaha District
• Gampaha, Idigolla settlement – Gampaha District